Saturday, June 30, 2012

A New Project, Wherein we learn Patience (and several new Swears)

The other day I found some old Lion Brand Homespun yarn that I bought back, oh, around the turn of the century. The nineteenth century, that is. It wasn't as much fun to crochet with as I thought and even worse to knit with. So I shoved it in the back of a closet and wrote the yarn off as a waste of shelf space.

And then, earlier this year, entered the rigid heddle loom. A new toy! And suddenly there were possibilities for all kinds of things I'd always overlooked before- the funky, textured art yarns or the wild variegated ones that look so pretty in the skein and so awful worked up in a pattern- these guys had a new lease on life with weaving.

So for the Homespun, I thought weaving an afghan in panels and sewing them together might be just the thing for it. It took me ALL afternoon to wind the warp and get it on the loom (by which I mean I finally finished about 9:30pm!) This was my first time warping cotton and while it looks ok now, it was quite a challenge and I'm worried what may be in store for me under that roll of paper. It's too soon to tell if it is turning out like my vision, but either way I think I'm getting some valuable insight into weaving with this one. And I do like the way it looks, so far at least. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment