Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Introducing Freyja!

I learned to spin on a second-(actually I think it was third?)-hand Ashford Kiwi.  I named her Felicity because she made me happy and just so happened to appear at just the right time in my spinning adventure.  And while I think the Kiwi is a great wheel, and everybody always has a special love for their first, I also knew almost from the beginning that it was just a fling.  Someday I was going to move on.  I am a little sad to see her go, but she'll have a new home with a lovely friend who is also just starting out.

Which means I get a new wheel!  I considered many options, and eventually settled on the Schacht Ladybug.    They are a bit unconventional looking, what with the bright red plastic drive wheel, but they spin like a dream, and I like that the parts are compatible with the other Schacht wheels.  Just in case, you know!

I chose the name Freyja for two reasons.  One, it is Norse for "Lady".  Appropriate, no?  Also, Freyja was a Nordic goddess of (among other things) sorcery, and when I was first learning to spin I watched many videos and just marveled at how magical the whole process appeared.  Even now, two years and much technical knowledge later, I still find myself a little bit mesmerized by it sometimes.

So!  Here is my new friend Freyja.


We have been spending a lot of quality time together the past couple of weeks, as I have had to re-learn to spin just a little bit.  And here is the result - the first skein we produced together, Purplemint Swirl - because what else would a gal who goes by Shrieking Violet spin her first time out? ;)


I think it is the start of a beautiful friendship :)


1 comment: