Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A Quilt for Gracie

Boy, I suck at this blogging thing!  It's only been, what, a year since my last post?  So in the meantime, I've been spinning constantly (of course), knitting a leetle bit, playing with my loom and procrastinating on this quilt.

I told my niece I'd make her a new quilt, because her baby blanket was too worn out to use anymore. Her favorite color is red, and just a couple of weeks after making the offer, Connecting Threads came out with their Rhapsody in Red collection, which was just too perfect!  So I bought several charm packs and then it was just down to choosing a pattern.  I came across the disappearing nine-patch block and thought it seemed like just the thing for a bunch of charm squares, so I started playing around with the layout options in Paint. (that's how most of my projects begin life)

By using the reds in the corner and center, and the white neutral for the sides of the original nine patch, I ended up with four blocks each that had sashing and cornerstones already built in.  Easy peasy!  I rotated them all going the same direction and wound up with a quilt top that looks much more complicated than it actually was.  Oh no, wait - I mean, I'm totally a quilting genius and this was a super finicky pattern ;)



Aaanyway, I finished the top ages ago and just put off and put off working on the quilting.  Finally the guilt started to outweigh the urge to procrastinate (is that a thing?  I don't think that's a thing) so I finished it off with some straight-line quilting and fabulous kitten fabric on the back.  It is on its way to my niece this week!  And now I am addicted to quilting and have already started cutting another.  Finishing a project always does that to me :)



No comments:

Post a Comment